Volunteer Teaching English at an NGO
Volunteers applying through Friends for Asia can sign up to assist a newly formed NGO that is poised to assume a leading role in an at-risk community in western Hanoi. This is a critical time in the life of this NGO, as it’s currently operating under a two-year charter. With ample support from volunteers like you, this organization has the potential to set a new standard for community development in Vietnam.
This NGO works with young people in a newly urbanized district of West Hanoi. Its underlying objective is to support disadvantaged children through educational support and vocational training. By focusing on these two areas, the organization hopes to boost young peoples’ future prospects for long-term, sustainable employment.
Teaching English at an NGO is a different experience than teaching in a school. In a school, the objective is education for its own sake – and that’s a worthy cause, to be certain. However, NGOs like this one are much more specific in their goals. They develop skill sets and seek out opportunities for young people who have fallen through the cracks. Every initiative is designed with a specific purpose in mind: to enhance the lives of people in the community.
Making a Difference – Volunteering in Vietnam!
Vietnam is on the cusp of profound development. Massive socio-economic changes have swept through the country over the past decade or so, but Vietnam still trails Southeast Asian powerhouses like Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. The next few years will be formative for Vietnam.
This is an ideal time for volunteers to offer their support to fledgling NGOs in this region. If developmental programs like this one are able to get off of the ground, they’ll end up setting a precedent for other potential initiatives. In far too many cases, budding NGOs end up falling by the wayside – but not for lack of drive or purpose. In many cases, they are simply short on manpower and funding.
This is where you step in. Even if you only have couple of weeks to offer, the time you spend working with students can make a critical difference in these young people’s lives. Even further, the more international support that organizations like this receive, the higher their profile in the community. This adds credibility to the cause while increasing interest and awareness.
Vietnam Volunteer Tasks
Volunteer English teachers have a range of responsibilities while on assignment with the NGO. Most are assigned to work a classroom environment to work on speaking, listening and pronunciation skills. This is one of the most practical ways for a person without a background in education to get involved.
You’ll also be paired with a Vietnamese teacher to help with classroom management and other tasks. The center also hosts cultural exchange events and other programs from time to time, and volunteers may be asked to help. Finally, the adult staff are interested in studying English with foreign teachers.
Volunteer Project Fees
Participation in the Teaching English at an NGO Volunteer Project starts at a minimum of two weeks at $699. Each additional week is $119.
Volunteer Project Fee Includes
- Comprehensive Pre-Departure Information
- International Accident and Injury Insurance
- Airport pick up
- Daily transportation to/from accommodation and project site
- Accommodation during orientation and entire project time
- 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- 2 day Orientation (including half day city tour, and Vietnamese language lessons)
- Onsite Coordinator
- 24 hour emergency assistance
- Written record of service completion (for volunteers that successfully complete their project).
Volunteer Project Fees Do Not Include
- Travel to/from Home and Hanoi (airfare, train tickets, etc.)
- Vietnam visa costs
- International Medical Insurance
- Cost of criminal police background check (required for this project)
Teaching English at an Vietnam NGO Volunteer Start Dates for 2015 and 2016
- the 21st of October, 2015
- the 4th of November, 2015
- the 18th of November, 2015
- the 2nd of December, 2015
- the 16th of December, 2015
- the 6th of January, 2016
- the 20th of January, 2016
- the 3rd of February, 2016
- the 17th of February, 2016
- the 2nd of March, 2016
- the 16th of March, 2016
- the 6th of April, 2016
- the 20th of April, 2016
- the 4th of May, 2016
- the 18th of May, 2016
- the 1st of June, 2016
- the 15th of June, 2016
- the 6th of July, 2016
- the 20th of July, 2016
- the 3rd of August, 2016
- the 17th of August, 2016
- the 7th of September, 2016
- the 21st of September, 2016
- the 5th of October, 2016
- the 19th of October, 2016
- the 2nd of November, 2016
- the 16th of November, 2016
- the 7th of December, 2016
- the 21st of December, 2016